A delightful book. Seneca, Epistles 5.46

Seneca thanks Lucilius for sending him a copy of a book the latter wrote. He praises the style of the book, offering also a little advice about how to speak, write, hear, and read well.


Librum tuum quem mihi promiseras accepi et tamquam lecturus ex commodo adaperui ac tantum degustare volui; deinde blanditus est ipse ut procederem longius. Qui quam disertus fuerit ex hoc intellegas licet: levis mihi visus est, cum esset nec mei nec tui corporis, sed qui primo aspectu aut Titi Livii aut Epicuri posset videri. Tanta autem dulcedine me tenuit et traxit ut illum sine ulla dilatione perlegerim. Sol me invitabat, fames admonebat, nubes minabantur; tamen exhausi totum.

Non tantum delectatus sed gavisus sum. Quid ingenii iste habuit, quid animi! Dicerem quid impetus!, si interquievisset, si intervallo surrexisset; nunc non fuit impetus sed tenor. Compositio virilis et sancta; nihilominus interveniebat dulce illud et loco lene. Grandis, erectus es: hoc te volo tenere, sic ire. Fecit aliquid et materia; ideo eligenda est fertilis, quae capiat ingenium, quae incitet.

De libro plura scribam cum illum retractavero; nunc parum mihi sedet iudicium, tamquam audierim illa, non legerim. Sine me et inquirere. Non est quod verearis: verum audies. O te hominem felicem, quod nihil habes propter quod quisquam tibi tam longe mentiatur! nisi quod iam etiam ubi causa sublata est mentimur consuetudinis causa. Vale.


I received the book of your writing that you promised me, and opened it at my earliest convenience, eager to read and wanting just to taste it. But it was so delicious that I read more than just a morsel. The effect of your eloquence will be evident to you from my assessment that it appears too light & sweet for hard bodies like mine, or even yours; at first glance, your style here would seem rather to resemble something from Titus Livius, or Epicurus (). So did it seize me, and draw me with its charm, that I read through the entire book without delay. The sun summoned me to feast. Hunger added her warning. Clouds threatened to march. But still I drained this text to the dregs.

I was not merely charmed, but delighted. What mind and genius this book holds! I would say that it began with great boldness, had it ever paused or broken the opening onslaught, but it never did: your writing kept the same force right up to the end. A manly and solemn order yours was here, but still there appeared the occasional hint of sweetness and levity. You are powerful and elevated: I want you to keep this style, to continue on the path you are treading. Your material has done some of the work for you. You should always look for subject-matter that is fertile, that seizes and spurs your imagination.

I will write more about the book when I have gone over it again. At the moment my judgment remains unseated, as I have merely heard what the book says, not properly digested it. Let me finish searching through it. There is no reason for you to fear: you shall hear the truth of my opinion when I have it. What a happy man you are, possessing nothing to make others lie to you long-term. All you have to deal with is the fact that we lie out of habit, when our incentives to falsehood are removed. Farewell.


---
() Epicurus is the famous Greek philosopher whom Seneca regularly quotes. Titus Livius (59 BCE-17 CE) is the Roman historian known commonly in English as Livy: his Ab Urbe Condita provides an account of Rome from its legendary foundations to the reign of Caesar Augustus, his contemporary. While much of the work is lost to time, more than enough remains to provide evidence of the style that Seneca praises.