Personal immortality. Unamuno, Life 3.10

Unamuno is not content with mortality. Worse, he is not content with immortality that does not extend to the individual personality. He frames this discontent in terms of necessity: for him, to live is to require some apprehension of personal immortality.


Y vienen queriendo engañarnos con un engaño de engaños, y nos hablan de que nada se pierde, de que todo se trasforma, muda y cambia, que ni se aniquila el menor cachito de materia, ni se desvanece del todo el menor golpecito de fuerza, ¡y hay quien pretende darnos consuelo con esto! ¡Pobre consuelo! Ni de mi materia ni de mi fuerza me inquieto, pues no son mías mientras no sea yo mismo mío, esto es, eterno. No, no es anegarme en el gran Todo, en la Materia o en la Fuerza infinitas y eternas o en Dios lo que anhelo; no es ser poseído por Dios, sino poseerle, hacerme yo Dios sin dejar de ser el yo que ahora os digo esto. No nos sirven engañifas de monismo; ¡queremos bulto y no sombra de inmortalidad!

¿Materialismo? ¿Materialismo decís? Sin duda; pero es que nuestro espíritu es también alguna especie de materia o no es nada. Tiemblo ante la idea de tener que desgarrarme de mi carne; tiemblo más aún ante la idea de tener que desgarrarme de todo lo sensible y material, de toda sustancia. Sí, acaso esto merece el nombre de materialismo y si a Dios me agarro con mis potencias y mis sentidos todos, es para que Él me lleve en sus brazos allende la muerte, mirándome con su cielo a los ojos cuando se me vayan éstos a apagar para siempre. ¿Que me engaño? ¡No me habléis de engaño y dejadme vivir!

Llaman también a esto orgullo; «hediondo orgullo» le llamó Leopardi, y nos preguntan que quiénes somos, viles gusanos de la tierra, para pretender inmortalidad; ¿en gracia a qué? ¿Para qué? ¿Con qué derecho? ¿En gracia a qué? —preguntáis—, ¿y en gracia a qué vivimos? ¿Para qué?, ¿y para qué somos? ¿Con qué derecho?, ¿y con qué derecho somos? Tan gratuito es existir, como seguir existiendo siempre. No hablemos de gracia, ni de derecho, ni de para qué de nuestro anhelo que es un fin en sí, porque perderemos la razón en un remolino de absurdos. No reclamo derecho ni merecimiento alguno; es sólo una necesidad, lo necesito para vivir.


Then they come on wanting to deceive us with the greatest lie of all, telling us that nothing is lost, that everything transforms itself, altering and changing so that not even the tiniest bit of matter is destroyed, nor the most miniscule stroke of energy lost. Woe to any who would so give us comfort! Poor comfort indeed. I am not worried about my matter or energy, for they are not mine as long as I am not: they are not mine until I am eternal. I do not wish to drown myself in the grand sum of all things—in infinite matter, or eternal energy, or in God. My desire is not to be possessed by God, but to possess him, to make myself divine without ceasing to be the self that now addresses you. The tricks of the monists (†) are no use to us! We want the substance of immortality, not its shadow.

Materialism? This is materialism, you say? No doubt it is. But our spirit must also be some kind of material, something substantial, or it is nothing. I tremble before the idea of having to abandon my flesh. I tremble even more at the idea of having to leave behind everything sensible and substantial, all matter. Perhaps this evinces something that warrants the title materialism. If I cling to God with all my power and my senses, my purpose is for him to carry me in his arms beyond death, looking me in the eyes with his heaven as those eyes prepare to close forever. I am deceiving myself, you say? Leave me to live, and do not speak to me of deceit.

This too they call pride, "obscene pride" in the formulation of Leopardi, and they ask us who we think we are, vile worms of the earth, to aspire to immortality. By what grace? To what end? With what right? "By what grace," you ask, "by what grace do we live? To what end? Why do we exist? With what right?" Existence is such a gratuitous thing, as essentially pointless in itself as existing forever. Let us not speak of grace, or rights, or reasons cloaking our desire for life that is actually an end in itself, for thus we shall lose our purpose in a torrent of nonsense. I claim no right, nor any merit to justify my desire, which is merely a necessity: I need it in order to live.


---
() Monism (from the Greek μόνος meaning solitary, alone, single) is a broad term referring to any philosophical outlook that attempts to explain all things in its vision as belonging to the same thing, in essence. Unamuno disavows it because he does not want immortality that does away with discrete, personal individuals. Where Democritus, Epicurus, or a Stoic might find immortality in material nature, matter and energy in abstract terms, he remains unsatisfied: the immortality he wants is not that of an impersonal abstraction, which makes him as hostile to materialists as to idealists like Plato or Saint Augustine, whose approach to immortality he dismisses here as being possessed by God rather than possessing God as oneself.